Monday, February 25, 2013

Tomato pesto galette


I've been following a number of beautiful Swedish blogs (via the magic of Google Translate) and one of the lovely blogs, Matgeek, is having a contest to whip up a dish featuring tomatoes (well, that's what I hope it says...Google translate doesn't always get it right...). 

The first thing that came to mind was a tomato galette I had made ages ago, possibly even for a girls' night?  I can't remember. Either way, I really loved the dish and wanted to make it again.

The actual use of tomatoes is really simple, but they really shine in this recipe since they are used whole and I love the way cherry tomatoes explode. Also, some guests from the Netherlands just brought us a a whole whackload of amazing cheeses (they clearly know us very well, it seems), and one of the cheeses was a goat cheese infused with herbs (sorry, no name or identification) that were basically made to be part of this dish.

The actual dish is quite fast to put together, which is absolutely a necessity during these long days of thesis writing. 

Here is the rough recipe:

TOMATO GALETTE

Basil and black pepper cornmeal galette crust

100 g    white flour
50 g      whole wheat flour
50 g      coarse cornmeal
chopped basil
lots of black pepper
salt (amount dependent on the saltiness of your butter)

85 g      chilled butter
50-75 g ice water

Mix your dry ingredients.
Cut butter into dry ingredients until olive-sized.
Drizzle in cold water, bringing dough together until just forms a shaggy ball (I like to keep my butter chunks still intact, so I don't really work the dough much at this point, almost like puff pastry).

Chill for an hour or so.


Tomato pesto filling

Cherry tomatoes (pierced...just in case they explode)
Pesto (I did a basic basil, garlic, parmesan, toasted pine nut, olive oil with a little lemon zest)
Cheese (anything goes...I've done this with sharp cheddar and soft goat cheeses as well)
Cooked crispy Bacon

Roll out the dough into a thin circle-like shape.
Spread bacon along the bottom.
Mix together tomatoes, pesto, cheese.
Pile in the middle of the dough, then wrap the edges up, brush with milk

Bake in oven at 175C until golden brown, serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to add a touch of sweetness.



Enjoy!

xoxox


2 comments:

  1. WTF, Kim....100g? 85g? I have no mental concept of what a 'g' is!!!! You've gone all European on us.

    I remember how delicious this dish was, and I'm definitely going to try and replicate it.

    But first I have to go buy a scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Just wanted to let you know that you can now find Matgeek in english here - Iamfoodgeek.com :)

    Enjoy and thanks for taking the time to translate my Swedish blog to english!

    Sincerely,
    Johan

    ReplyDelete